This care package was made a while ago for a dear friend who was expecting a baby. She found out that she and her husband were expecting a girl, however, he was deployed when she found she was pregnant.
She wanted to reveal the gender to him in a special way, so she asked me to come up with a care package idea for her.
So I came up with a slider idea. I’ve seen them work on greeting cards, now it was time to make it work on a care package flap.
I used my silhouette cameo to cut out and decorate the words and shapes on the flaps. The slider was the hardest part.
You will need scissors, cardstock, a zip loc bag, and strong double sided tape such as scor tape.
Here’s what I did.
- Cut 8in x 2.5in strip of cardstock
- Using a ziplock bag, cut a stripe that will fit somewhat snugly around the strip of cardstock but still allow room for sliding
- Tape the strip around the cardstock with strong double tape adhesive so now it’s a ring around your strip of cardstock. You now have your slide mechanism.
- Place a piece double stick tape near the left side of the mechanism, adhere your cover piece to the mechanism
- Repeat on the other side, so when you pull your two cover pieces at the same time, they slide out.
- Pull out your cover pieces and decorate them with what you want to be seen when it is revealed.
- Add a ‘top’ top piece to make everything pretty and so there can be a channel where your sliding mechanism can function.
Fingers cross that it works when her husband opens it.
***Update, it did!! One side got a little stuck but he was able to wriggle it through gently.
Here are the supplies I used. Affiliate links are used at no cost to you.
2 Comments on Gender Reveal Slider Care Package
Comments are closed.
Hi! This is a really adorable idea, and I’d love to make something similar for my husband who is currently deployed. I’ve tried your instructions a couple of times but I’m not doing something correctly, and your video is a little too quick for me to figure out 🙁 Any chance you can post a slower video of just making the slider? Thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask, thank you!